Collecting payment with PayPal Standard Checkout gateway is handled with WP BASE PayPal Standard Addon.
Setup – Monetary Settings
In order to ask clients pay with PayPal (or with any other payment gateway), you need to set Monetary Settings first:
- Visit WP BASE → Monetary Setting → General page
- Set Payment required at booking instant as Yes
- Check the other settings on the page: Currency, symbol, decimal separator
- Check Prepayment part. If you will ask full price from your clients you can skip following step:
- Prepayment is a partial payment either based on percentage of service price or a fixed price that must be less than full price. Fill either Prepayment (%) or Prepayment (fixed) field
- Check if Security Deposit is available and it will be added to the total amount. If yes set Add Security Deposit to Total Amount as Yes
- Click Save Settings button
Setup – PayPal Standard
- Visit WP BASE → Monetary Setting → Payment Gateways page
- Check the check box for Paypal Standard Checkout under Active Payment Gateways
- Click Save Settings button. Paypal Standard tab will be revealed after save
- Fill in the fields in PayPal Standard tab:
- Public Name is the text displayed beside selection radio button on confirmation form on front end if there are more than one active gateway
- PayPal currency is the currency that you may accept. Only currencies accepted by PayPal are listed here
- PayPal Mode is either Sandbox (test) or Live. At first we recommend that you use Sandbox
- PayPal Merchant E-mail is your real email for Live account and test facilitator account given in developer
- Cancel Return page is a page on your website if client clicks cancel link on PayPal website
- Fee is the cost of transaction that will be added to the total payable amount (including security deposit if set so) when this payment method is selected. Percentage and/or fixed value can be used. When both fields are entered, they will be summed up. When client selects the gateway, total amount is updated on the fly. Example: If fee is 2,5% + $0,50 then a total price of $100 will be collected as $103 from client’s account. Client will see this amount before he clicks the checkout button.
- Item Name defines how description will be shown to your client. Common Placeholders can be used. For example “Payment for SERVICE” may be translated as “Payment for Hair Cut”
- Client instructions can be added which will be shown as tooltip over the gateway selection. HTML and common placeholders are allowed.
- Click Save Settings button
- As client picks a time slot, price of the service is added to the total amount either directly or by a discount, e.g. because of custom price rule or down payment percentage, if set
- If you are using Shopping Cart or similar Multiple Appointments addon, client can add more time slots and total amount is summed up. Time slots are reserved with status In cart
- If there is only one active gateway client can click Checkout button
- If there are more than one active payment gateways, then client needs to pick a gateway on the confirmation form. Until he selects a payment method, checkout button is disabled.
- When client clicks Checkout button, picked up time slot(s) are reserved with status pending and client is redirected to PayPal website
- If client completes the payment, PayPal automatically sends an IPN response in seconds or minutes
- As this IPN response is caught, status of the booking is changed to paid and a confirmation message is sent to client. Admin and service provider receive a notification email due to confirmation of the booking. That’s it: Collecting payment with Paypal Standard Checkout gateway mission accomplished.
- If client does not complete payment process, after a time set in Pending Payment bookings auto removal time, status of booking is changed as removed and also marked as abandoned therefore reserved time slots are freed
Admin – Checking Payment after Collecting Payment with Paypal Standard
- When payment information arrives from PayPal using IPN, status of booking is changed to paid and payment information is automatically recorded in the database. You can check this payment in WP BASE → Transactions page
- Alternatively you can click on the paid column for the booking on WP BASE → Bookings page
- Record includes PayPal reference, payment amount, and transaction time
- Payments coming from payment gateways cannot be edited